Saturday, May 12, 2007

Where Have You Gone Scooby Doo?

Forgive me if I am starting to sound like a grumpy old man, but has anyone watched the cartoon offerings that our children have to choose from these days? Perhaps this happens in every generation, but when I compare today's shows to those of my childhood the difference is striking.

Let us consider exhibit A: The Kids Next Door. First, notice that the artwork is poor. I hate to even imply that it has a style to be compared to others in the first place. Then you get to the actual characters and "stories". These kids whine, cry, and have bad attitudes. Why would you sit your children down in front of an example like this? Lest you think this an aberration, consider The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Consider this verse two.

That's not to say there aren't any bright spots at all. Compare either of the previous examples to Jimmy Neutron. Start again with the quality of the artwork. Do you notice the difference? Now I'm not comparing this to the Mona Lisa by any stretch of the imagination, but it is certainly an improvement. Let's not forget the storyline. Here you kids will have as an example a gifted youngster who is an inventor. While it's no substitute for your own teaching of life's lessons, I don't feel like this is something that pulls kids in the opposite direction.

Do you know what your kids are watching?

Until next time...
PH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the Babar cartoon that comes on after the news Sat. mornings here. I watch it when I have time. I find it relaxing, with different life lessons. I do agree that cartoons used to be better. Mom.