Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Slow to Adopt New Technology

After my posting over the weekend about cell phones, this may come as a surprise. However, I am typically not one to rush out and get the latest and greatest offerings from the technology world. I have often fallen into the category of "late adopter".

For example, it was 1994 before I bought my first CD player. Previously I was of the opinion, "What's so great about CDs?"

Even though I worked in the computer industry, I don't have my own computer until 1999 - two years after graduating from college! Further, the only reason I bought a computer then was so that I could work on a resume.

Similar to my CD experience, I did not have a DVD player until 2003, and I would not have owned one then if it had not been a Christmas gift that year.

Finally, I have just entered the world of MP3 players. Again, when iPods became all the rage, I thought, "What's so great about that?" After Christy and I joined a health club in January, I quickly saw one benefit. I was lugging my CD player from machine to machine while everyone else in the gym was "wearing" their MP3 players. That was enough to tip the scales for me, but I only bought a very basic 512 Mb player. It served its purpose, and I use it 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day, 5 days a week now. I also discovered that my PDA had an MP3 player, and I had a 1 Gb memory card for it. I have it about 2/3 of the way full now, and it has about 6 full CDs on it. Then I had the real light bulb moment. Christy found a web site where you can buy legit MP3s for $0.19 a piece. If you want a full CD, it is typically around $2.00! While I may still buy CDs here and there, I will be using the avenue for the vast majority of my purchases. You just can't argue with the price.

Until next time...
PH

No comments: