Thursday, November 1, 2007

On maturing...

I would like each of you to think back to that time in your life when you had everything figured out - when you knew everything there was to know. I'm talking about somewhere around age 19-20. It is amazing how in the 15 years since then I have realized just how little I really understood at that point. While this topic is rich enough to blog on for years, I have a specific topic in mind.

When I was in high school and college, I went to great lengths to avoid any course related to psychology or sociology. With a strong appreciation for math, physics, and chemistry, I shunned these "touchy-feely" subjects and wondered why anyone would want to waste their time on such matters.

After having been a manager for over five years now, I understand quite well why someone would want to "waste their time" on psychology. I spent the first five years of my career writing software, and I dealt with the very rational, consistent computer for the majority of my day. Computers are very predictable in the answers that they give you. However, I quickly discovered that people are not at all that way.

Much to my surprise, I also found the challenge of managing people to be far more stimulating than working with the computer full time because of the unpredictable nature of people. I've also found that people can be very difficult to understand at times, and it is not explainable through math, physics, chemistry, Java, UNIX, or any other of the exact sciences.

Since then, I have played catch up through self-study in acquiring some knowledge of psychology. I have read a number of books on leadership, management, and communication. Right now, I am reading a book directly tied to psychology called Toxic Coworkers: How to Deal with Dysfunctional People on the Job. It is a rather practical book that describes a series of personality disorders (narcissists, sociopaths, etc.) and gives types for dealing with bosses, coworkers, and subordinates who display these traits. While anyone could benefit from reading it, it should be required reading for managers.

Needless to say things I once thought "touchy-feely" are actually quite practical and necessary. Isn't it funny how time humbles us?

Until next time...
PH

No comments: