Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Starbucks' New Coffee

You may have heard that Starbucks has launched their new Pike Place Roast coffee. I had seen a billboard for it recently, but I actually got to try it this evening. Courtesy of an offer in an insert in the newspaper (check yours if you haven't thrown it out already), I had a tall decaf on their dime. In the spirit of reviewing, here are my thoughts. It doesn't taste like Starbucks coffee - regardless of whether you are a Verona, Breakfast, House, or Sumatra fan, this is a major departure. As noted in the link above, this blend is made from arabica beans which account for a sweet, nutty flavor that is rather uncommon from Starbucks. It was pleasant for what it is, but it made me wonder, "Who is going to drink this day in and day out?" Most of the people I know who go to Starbucks want a bold, rich flavor which this is not. I came across an article from a Houston TV station that has some similar questions. Perhaps they are trying to reach out to a new customer base, but it seems that they are tampering with their formula of success. If you get a chance to try it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Until next time...
PH

3 comments:

ptben said...

Yo P,

that's terrible news. I hope they are not eliminating the other choices for coffee of the day. The report is not clear if they are doing that. Hopefully, this Pike's Peak business will be for that $1 cup they are trying.

You're totally right. I go to Starbucks to have BOLD coffee. I've even got my ordering down. "Venti BOLD no room" Please Starbucks don't take away my Verona, Komodo dragon, sumatra, etc.

ASC said...

Ohhh, interesting to note this is not up to Starbuck's standards! Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

Do you think decaf tastes the same as regular? It doesn't sound bad to me, but I'm not a Starbucks customer. I like my coffee, but I'd rather drink water, or tea, than decaf. Mom