Friday, April 18, 2008

April on the Vine

It's that time of the month again, and Vine had some nice offerings yesterday. I choose a couple of CDs from the early newsletter. One is by an artist that is definitely out of my usual genre. Tim O'Brien's latest CD, Chameleon, is on the edge between country and bluegrass. I played some clips for Christy last night, and she said, "He sounds like he belongs on O' Brother, Where Art Thou." I can't really argue with that assessment. I guess it's up to you whether or not that is a good thing.

The other CD I choose was by a more mainstream sounding artist, Jackie Greene. Amazon has started to personalize they Vine newsletter using the same "Recommendations" feature on the main site, and I think that I was offered Giving Up the Ghost because I gave the Wisely CD five stars a couple of months ago. Christy was amused by Greene's home page because he is smoking in most of the pictures and as you move your mouse around on the page a trail of smoke follows it. However she did think his music was pretty good.

There was also some really bad music on the list too. The band MGMT's latest CD, Oracular Spectacular, was another option that I had. I wasn't too excited about it because of the parental advisory label. I decided to check out their site and see if it was worth a try anyway. If you've gone over and pressed play, then you know the answer I came to. I think the advisory label is on the CD because the music is so bad that you will be inclined to cuss after listening to it! Wow, is that awful, or what?

I should be getting both of these next week so my reviews should be up in about 7-10 days.

Until next time...
PH

No comments: