Saturday, March 8, 2008

Scattershooting Saturday

Wow, has it really been that long since my last post? That can only mean that there's a lot of ground to cover so here we go...

One of the things that have been taking up my time lately is that I have joined a book club through Barnes and Noble. The common tie that this has to Amazon's Vine program is that you can receive advanced copies of books to read. However, the difference is that there are fewer of them with more time between. The First Look program is the section of the club that reads and discusses advanced copies of books. I am currently taking part in the discussion for The Sister. I would have never chosen this on my own, but it turned out to be an interesting read. At some point I will be posting a review on the BN website. Stay tuned... One other note, unlike Vine the First Look program is open to anyone who registers for the Barnes and Noble Book Club.

A few weeks ago, Ben and I went back to school - beer school that is! Each month The Covey in Forth Worth has beer school (it will be somewhere on the event page) on the third Sunday. The beer was pretty good, but the "sausage" platter was even better. Would you expect chilled BBQ Salmon on a sausage platter? Me neither but that's what we got. I don't know if it's always that way, but I'd be willing to go back and find out...

Dad and Bobbie were in for a visit a couple of weeks ago. They came to see one of Damon's basketball games. We mixed in a trip to the Fort Woof dog park and a few good restaurants to round out a nice visit. It was a short visit, but we enjoyed it.

Vine has also kept me pretty busy. In addition to the normal monthly newsletter, they had a special "clearance" newsletter the beginning of this month. Between the two, I selected two books and two CDs. I just finished reading The Secret Scroll last night, and I will be posting my review in the next couple of days. My CDs just came yesterday. I chose a couple of pretty different selections: Mockingbird by Allison Moorer and the latest CD from Wisely. I should have something up for both of these by the end of next week. Both artists have enabled streaming of the entire CD on their web sites (Allison Moorer and Wisley) if you are interested. Finally, I am waiting on Now You See Him to arrive. With all the books, I guess you can see where blogging time might lose out...

We also have our house back on the market as of Monday. We are now with a Keller Williams agent based on a recommendation from a family friend. Darin Davis has our listing on his site now as well on all of the normal MLS sites. We hope this is going to be the listing that does it.

And that is what's been keeping us busy for the last few weeks.

Until next time...
PH

1 comment:

ptben said...

What's crazy about music? Your tastes change. I tend to stray away from music unless it's Sports Radio 1310 the Ticket. However, a couple of Norah Jones esque songs have caught my attention. I'm sure I'd be called 'gay' by some but I really dig the songs Sara Bareilles-Love Song and Colbie Caillat - Bubbly.

I guess I'm getting old and appreciating good vocals and nice supporting instruments.