Saturday, March 28, 2009

My Butterfly Boogie 10k Experience

My retelling of the Butterfly Boogie (I promise I didn't name it) 10k is going to be a little different than what I did for Cowtown. The primary reason is my brain was frozen so I don't remember it as well. While the weather was similar, it was overcast so there was no sunshine to give a hint of warmth.

The course had almost all of its uphill sections during the first half. This all but ensured a "negative split", i.e. faster time on the back half.

At the first water stop after mile one, there were a couple of little girls giving high fives as we went by - cute!

There was a man running with his son who was probably around 10. Dad was yelling at the kid about technique. Who drags their kid out on Saturday morning and does that?

The back half followed the Katy Trail. It is a nice bike/running trail. However there were three things that stuck with me. The trail passes near a BBQ restaurant, and the smell of the smokehouse was surprisingly sickening. The trial is lined with trees, but I came across a gap in the trees at the same time a gust of wind came. It was like being hit by a linebacker! Finally, I passed near a hamburger joint, and it had the same effect as the BBQ place.

While I don't have the official results yet, I think I was within 30 seconds of my Cowtown pace. Given the conditions, I'll take it.

As a side note, the initial formatting of the post may be a bit off. I am posting it from my BlackBerry while waiting on my car to be serviced.

Until next time...
PH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those cooking odors can get to you sometimes. When Nelson's Golden Glow is doing a fundraiser downtown, the odor is "foul". They sell half chickens cooked on an open grill. Ugh! I prefer the rotisserie chickens done at the deli. Anyway, a thumbs up for a good showing in a difficult race. Mom