Monday, October 6, 2008

Kids, Bikes, and Cellphones

I have noticed something recently that I find troubling.  Saturday morning, I was leaving my neighborhood, and I noticed a kid (about 12 or 13) riding his bike while talking on his cellphone.  It made me think back to something that I had considered a fluke a few weeks ago.  That time, I was coming into my neighborhood, and I was almost home.  Then I had to honk at a kid who was flying down his driveway and pulled out right in front of me.  It was to my dismay that I noticed that he was staring at the ground talking on his cellphone.  If I had been a few seconds earlier, I would be talking about hitting the kid on his bike rather than just scaring him with a honk of the horn!

Much has been made about the dangers of talking on your cellphone while driving.  I would say that it is just as dangerous for kids to be doing so on their bikes.  Are your kids doing this?  Are you sure?  Make sure they know the dangers.

Until next time...
PH

2 comments:

ASC said...

This is frightening! I'm afraid to even ask...what's next? I never thought I'd see a kid on a bike with a cell phone, though, so I guess I shouldn't even ask...

Anonymous said...

I don't think people teach their kids bike safety these days, as you see them riding on the wrong side and darting back and forth. They see adults talking on cell phones everywhere, including while driving, even texting and driving. Soon there will probably be a new law on the books about that, as if people don't have sense enough to do the right thing. Mom