Friday, July 11, 2008

Bonus Vine Selection

If you've been keeping track, June wasn't the best month of selections that I've from Vine. However, they gave us a nice surprise yesterday. Publisher Harper Collins teamed up with Amazon to give us one selection from 17 of their upcoming books. The book selection in general had not been that great since around the first of the year, but they had some interesting things to choose from. I strongly considered The Black Tower, but ultimately decided to go with first time author Lisa Black's debut novel Takeover. I hope it lives up to its description, but being from a major publisher I think it will.

Until next time...
PH

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Philip -- found your blog via Christy's. I'm an avid reader but of a completely different generation than your selections.
Same genre: Mystery, suspense, crime, etc., and we agree on Star Wars, but I enjoy the modern writers, Cornwell, Patterson, et. al. I also served 8 years as President of the Saginaw Library Boosters and I now serve on the Board of Directors for the North Texas Library System that assists about 1800 libraries from here up to Wichita Falls. Thought you might enjoy knowing you have a book friend (besides just a plain old plain old friend) here. :-)
Kay Clark

Philip Heath said...

Kay,

That's great to know. It is surprising how many people do not read at all these days. While I have not read it (yet), there's a book called Amusing Ourselves to Death that deals with the decline of the printed word. It may sound like a current topic, but it was actually written over 20 years ago. Reading is so important to keeping the mind sharp, and it's a shame that it is become antiquated.

PH