Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Recap of My Birthday Weekend

The years continue to roll by, and last Friday marked the day that I turned (gasp!) 34. This had to have been one of the better birthdays in recent years. Christy took me to a nice restaurant/brewery in Ft. Worth called The Covey. It is a really nice place, and you could easily drop more Washingtons than you intend if you aren't careful. However, we were both drawn to the wood-fired oven pizzas. Don't think Cici's or Dominoe's. Wood-fired pizza is hard to beat, and the offering at The Covey is no exception. I also highly recommend their IPA if you are in the mood for good beer.

Christy picked out a nice present for me. We recently saw Jim Gaffigan on Comedy Central, and he is one of the better ones that I've seen in quite some time. His sketches are mostly on the PG side, and he doesn't cuss. Anyway, Christy got me the DVD/CD combo of "Beyond the Pale" which contains the Hot Pockets sketch. I could tell you about it, but it is available in the media section of Jim's web site. We listened to the CD on the way home from The Covey, and then watched the DVD.

And then, as if Friday evening wasn't enough, Christy cranked up her mad scientist lab Saturday. She booted me out of the house at 9 a.m., and gave me strict instructions not to be home until 6 p.m. Before this day, I really didn't have an appreciation for just how long nine hours really is. I went to just about every electronics store or store that sells electronics in the Metroplex, and it was only 10:05 a.m. - not really. However, I settled in at The Corner Bakery around 3 p.m. to take advantage of free coffee refills and free wifi. Actually, killing a day is pretty easy, and I was almost late getting home. I ran into a bit of a traffic jam, but I still made it back by 6:05 p.m.

Upon arrival, I had to close my eyes and be led back to the bedroom which was serving as a holding tank. About 15 minutes later, Christy comes back and leads me out (eyes shut) to the living room as I was greeted to a surprise party. So with a small group of family and friends, we enjoyed a night of junk food, beer and wine, games, a slideshow of my life so far, and karaoke. All the dogs in a 20 mile radius had to go for therapy after we butchered song after song that night.

And that, folks, is what I call a good birthday weekend.

Until next time...
PH

4 comments:

ASC said...

Happy Bday! So sorry we weren't able to be there...

Anonymous said...

You know this well, but the longest day I can think of is waiting for someone to get through a long medical test, or through surgery. I'm glad you had a pleasant time killing time, and that you enjoyed your party and the whole week-end. Love, Mom.

Anonymous said...

Sorry we could not be there. I consulted with Christy regarding the beer. However, now that your party is over tell me about yodeling at the Bavarian Grill?

;-) B

Philip Heath said...

Yodeling. Well, Christy told Jim that it was my birthday, and he gave me a choice of dancing or yodeling. Seemed like an easy choice. It really wasn't any different than when we used to go back in the day.