Friday, August 29, 2008

August Vine Leftovers

Yesterday I had the chance to pick up a couple of additional selections from the August Vine newsletter. Continuing with my strong preference toward new music, I went for my biggest stretch selection to date. Lee Ritenour and Dave Grusin are known as jazz and classical musicians and composers. Grusin's piano work can be found in the movie scores of On Golden Pond, Tootsie, and The Firm. Their new collaboration, Amparo, is supposed to have South American and classical influences.

In addition to the CD, I picked up what sounds like a very interesting book. I have been interested in Billy the Kid ever since the Young Guns movies back when I was in high school. The historical fiction novel Lucky Billy sounded too interesting for me to pass up.

On a final note, my review of This Storm from Sonya Kitchell is now up. I thought this was a really good CD. Follow the link for why...

Until next time...
PH

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She sounds like someone I would like. You might want to give a listen to Sierra Hull, a young girl who's released her first album with Rounder. She's a good mandolinist and has a sweet voice. She's highly praised by Sam Bush, a long-time bluegrass mandolinsit, as well as Alison Krauss. Mom